Freda is a free application for reading electronic books (ebooks) on Windows Mobile devices.
· Reads ePub (DRM-free), HTML and TXT format books
· Touch screen interface
· Works with all screen dimensions and orientations
· Customisable fonts and colours
What's New in This Release:
· There is no 'main menu' any more. You access all features via a 'shortcuts' screen. While no book is loaded, a short screen-tap will display shortcuts; while a book is loaded, you may need to use a long-tap.
· The 'Library' is no longer a simple folder location. Instead, it is a searchable database of books. To add books to the library, tap the 'Library' shortcut, then use 'Actions->Add Books'. From there, you can select 'Add Folder' to get a similar function to what the old v1.1 library did - i.e. add to the library all the books in a particular folder (and optionally, its subfolders too).
· You also have an option to 'Add OPDS Catalog' to the library. Specify the catalog URI (the Feedbooks one is used by default, but you could equally use a Calibre2opds/Dropbox location, or any other OPDS-compliant catalog). Whenever you add books to the library, Freda identifies the place that you got those books from as a 'source'. When you wish to tidy up the library, you can select 'Actions->Remove Books' on the library screen, and it will present a list of sources; you can use this to remove from the library all the books from a given source.
· If the library specifies a book location on the internet, then when you open the book for the first time, Freda will download it. Recently downloaded files are held in a local cache, to save time (and indeed data charges).
· The library screen offers a (rather minimalist!) search function. Use the drop-down box at the top left to say which fields you want to search, and type text into the text box at the top right.
· The 'Settings' screen is now more finger-friendly. 'Text Appearance' settings are managed using a special control at the top of the settings screen; other settings are listed below that - just tap on a setting to display a dialog box to modify the setting.
· There are enhancements to the management of 'presets'. When saving presets note: (1) if you have a book loaded, you will have a special saveable preset called 'whenever this book is loaded'; you can use this to define settings that will be applied whenever you're reading this book in the future; (2) when you save a preset, you need to specify which settings are included in it, by ticking the relevant tick-boxes.
· When Freda is busy doing something, you will see a blue screen and/or a 'wait' cursor. If Freda is doing background processing (e.g pagination) you will see a small flickering square at the bottom right of the screen. If this square turns into a red-outlined box, it means Freda has run out of memory and is now working in 'low memory mode'. The main effect of this is that 'Find...' will not work reliably when searching in chapters other than the current one.
· RSVP/Autoscroll is implemented. To enter RSVP mode select 'Autoscroll on' from the shortcuts screen. The +/- buttons will speed up/slow down the reading speed; to pause reading, tap the screen; from 'paused' mode, you can tap the screen to exit RSVP mode or tap the 'PAUSE' indicator to resume RSVP reading.
· The 'Lock Backlight' option will force the backlight to stay on as long as you are reading (though after 10 minutes of inactivity, it will allow the backlight to switch off anyway).
· 'Rotate' will turn the display one 'stop' clockwise. You can define what 'stops' are available using the 'Permissible Orientations' setting. There is a 'Lock Orientation' setting which, if set, will cause Freda to resist other applications' attempts to change screen orientation.
· Logographic (e.g. Chinese) and Right-to-left languages (e.g Hebrew) should work OK. Freda will activate these features based upon the 'language' metadata it finds in the book file, and the character sets used in the book. If Freda gets it wrong, the Settings screen lets you force it to use Logographic ('characters are words') and/or RTL features (and obviously you can use 'save preset' to tell Freda just to use these settings for the individual book concerned).
· Languages with combining characters (Arabic, Persian, Thai, various Indian scripts) may or may not work. I'd be interested to get feedback on any problems
Like it? Share with your friends!
If you got an error while installing Themes, Software or Games, please, read FAQ.
Supported operating systems:
Windows Mobile 2003, Windows Mobile 5.0, Windows Mobile 6 Classic, Windows Mobile 6 Professional, Windows Mobile 6.1 Classic, Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional
Wattpad Reader Wattpad Reader - A fully functional port of the Wattpad java ebook reader
Zune eBook Creator Zune eBook Creator allows you to "convert" text such way, that you receive suite graphic files like suite of scanned pages of book or magazine. It is often necessary when you want to read favorite book on MobilePC, which does not have ability to show text files, but only graphical i.e. Zune
eReader for Windows Mobile Classic/Professional eReader for Windows Mobile Classic/Professional - Our eReader application for Windows Mobile allows you to read your eBooks whenever you want and wherever you go. You can use eReader to add bookmarks, navigate your eBooks easily and search for words in your eBook
Team One's Reader skin--Nature series 2 Team One's Reader skin--Nature series 2 - Skin for Team One's Reader v2.0
The wallpaper on the left of the bookshelf is changeable. You can download more beautiful wallpapers from our website (http://www.teamonesoft.com) besides those defaulted when installed. Import the wallpaper files (
WordStreamer WordStreamer is a speed reading tool that I put together over the weekend. It works on the principle that our brains only process text when our eyes are not moving. WordStreamer simply streams a text file one word at a time, at a rate specified by you
Mobipocket Reader Pocket PC Mobipocket Reader- Try the Mobipocket eBook Reader on your Pocket PC or MS Smartphone device, and enjoy the reading experience. The application is free and then you can buy ebooks 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from your PC, and also from everywhere if you buy from your device. Get below an overview of the main features of this application
Speereo Voice Reader Speereo Voice Reader is an innovative digital news & correspondence reader that utilizes Speereo Text-To-Speech (TTS). Once you give a command to read a list of messages, selected text, headers, etc., Speereo TTS will automatically start reading text out loud, thus freeing your hands for driving, making morning coffee, etc
BookDecoder This programs allows you to read coded eBooks compiled on the BookCoder
Other Software by developer «Jim Chapman»:
Comments on Freda:
Comments not found
If you noted an error or download link is broken, please, report it via this page or use comments.
Please, select device to check if Freda supports it