Homebrew developer j5l came up with an interesting application for the PlayStation Portable. Called Vmap PSP, the application is actually a vector MapViewer for the handheld unit. It is currently on version 1.3 and some of its features include:
* Any vector map format (ESRI shapefile only now, other format could be tranfered to it by Mapinfo or 3rd party tools).
* English and chinese font support, most dbf attribute information could display.
* Configure file (config.txt) for customize map file for your self.
* PSP buttons control map explore and surfing.
* A sample map (simple Mexico map in ESRI shapefile format, which I got from Internet).
Regarding font support, j5l mentioned that he needed to rewrite most of the code of the ESRI shapefile to work on FW 1.5 or CFW 3.x OE-C. Aside from that ,the developer added as well that he will continue working on VMap PSP and upcoming improvements will consist of:
* Better GUI
* Better i18n
* Truetype font
* GPS devices (Sony PSP-290 or Moby Cables with Holux GPS)
Like it? Share with your friends!
If you got an error while installing Themes, Software or Games, please, read FAQ.
PSP-Maps If you'd care to recall, some time ago, we posted an article on homebrew developer Royale's attempt to bring Google maps to the PlayStation Portable