Duden Dictionaries (Java) - Brockhaus Duden Neue Medien GmbH in Mannheim is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bibliographical Institute & F. A. Brockhaus AG publishing house.
Brockhaus Duden Neue Medien GmbH together with its partners in industry and science carries out research and development projects in the fields of knowledge management and computer linguistics. Duden's spelling and grammar are regarded as trend-setting and leading on the market. The products developed by Duden language technology cover the most comprehensive and profoundly edited word-list.
Duden's reference books and dictionaries are specially meant for journalists, editors, students, interpreters, and translators, as well as for everyone else, who wants to write or speak neatly and stylistically correctly.
Duden Dictionaries for mobile phones consist of:
Duden – German spelling dictionary
The comprehensive basic work follows the new Official Spelling Rules
The 24th edition of the Duden - German spelling dictionary contains spelling, word division and rules dated August, 2006, obligatory for all schools and authorities. The new Duden presents contemporary vocabulary of the German language so fully as never before. Duden recommendations are available for the first time in this edition and prescribe the right spelling in such disputable cases as „Saxofon" or „Saxophon"? In all the cases, where the new Official Rules permit several variants of spelling, Duden gives a recommendation, which is marked yellow. These recommendations should be looked upon as suggestion and help in word choice for the workers of mass media, enterprises, publishing houses, editorial staffs and all the private persons, who attach importance to common orthography. All the new spelling and word division variants are highlit red for the better viewing.
# Over 130 000 keywords;
# 3 000 new words, e.g. „Internettelefonie" „kleinreden", „Publikumsjoker", „Sudoku", „Telenovela", „USB-Stick" etc.;
# Over 500 000 illustrative examples, meaning explanations and information about word division, pronunciation, grammar, etymology, and style;
# NEW: Duden provides several acceptable spellings if possible.
Duden – German dictionary of synonyms
Most suitable word always at hand
Illustrative, clear, and informative Duden – German dictionary of synonyms gives alternatives to phrase your ideas more precisely. The new 4th edition is based on the obligatory rules dated August, 1st, 2006.
All the words you look up are easy to find by the keywords, intricate system of cross-references was rejected. To make the work with the dictionary still easier, all the synonyms in the entry are arranged into groups according to their similarity with the keyword based on style, origin, correlation in temporal and professional aspect.
* 300 000 synonyms for more than 20 000 up-to-date keywords;
* Helpful word usage examples (e.g. for the word Erziehungsurlaub the official prescribed synonym is Elternzeit; previously used word taubstumm corresponds to modern gehorlos);
* Alternative apt expressions for 200 idioms.
This reference book is also incredibly useful for the foreigners learning German seriously.
Duden – German dictionary of foreign words
Correct comprehension and usage of foreign words
Duden – German dictionary of foreign words, updated in August 2006 according to the new Official Spelling Rules, offers a thorough survey of the up-to-date and traditional foreign vocabulary presented in the modern German. Thus among the dictionary entries one can find special notes on history, functionality and usage of foreign words in the German language. Duden dictionary of foreign words is irreplaceable reference book for everyone, who wants to use and understand foreign words correctly.
* More than 55 000 foreign words and technical terms of the German present-day language;
* Over 400 000 notes on meaning, grammar, spelling, word division, and etymology;
* New foreign words from the latest language research (e.g. Blog, Internetauktion, MP3-Player, Open-Source-Software, Public Viewing, Sudoku, USB-Stick etc.).
Duden – German explanatory dictionary
Present-day, comprehensive, top-level
Duden – German explanatory dictionary is the most comprehensive German explanatory dictionary in one volume. It includes not only up-to-the-minute German vocabulary, but also covers its dialects and its variety in Austria and Switzerland. Detailed entries are devoted to the technical terms, professionalisms, jargon, and slang. As any other explanatory dictionary, Duden contains elaborated entries on the meaning and usage of the words and speech tokens in the sentence. The new edition of this basic work offers converted, updated, and considerably extended content of keywords from A to Z. Naturally, Duden – German explanatory dictionary corresponds to the obligatory Official Spelling Rules dated August, 2006.
* About 150 000 keywords and phrases;
* More than 500 000 meaning explanations and usage examples, notes on spelling, grammar, word origin, and style;
* 10 000 words and phrases standing for new notions relevant for nowadays German reality;
* Around 140 typical for the modern German language affixes, such as „neo-", „pseudo-", „-bewusst", „-wirksam" and others are paid special attention;
* Advice on word usage helps to avoid mistakes in linguistically sensitive cases, such as with the words „pervers" and „turken" and inform that recently often used „taubstumm" should be substituted by „gehorlos".
· Find the base forms of the translated word in any grammatical form by using the built-in morphology function. For example, if you translate plural nouns and adjectives, different verb forms and so on.
· Check the correct spelling of the word using the Variants of the word option. Choosing this option you are able to receive the nearest words to the translated word in alphabetical order. It helps you when you don't exactly know how to spell the word you want to find.
· Get quick access to last words you translated with the search method such as Search history. You will easily find last 20 words from the History at any time.
· Study the language in the easiest and most effective way using the cross-lookup feature between different related articles. Choose any unfamiliar word in the translated article and you will instantly receive its translation and definition just by pressing the button on your phone.
· Enjoy Duden dictionaries with convenient, friendly, specially designed for mobile phone dictionary user interface. Optional letter size and color markup are developed to set customer interface in accordance with your taste.
· Install and use several language packs on your mobile at the same time
Like it? Share with your friends!
Supported operating systems:
Java ME, Java Nokia 240x320, Java SE 240x320
Other Software by developer «Paragon Technologie GMBH»:
SlovoEd Classic Czech-Italian-Czech dictionary for UIQ3 SlovoEd Italian-Czech and Czech-Italian is a bidirectional dictionary for Symbian UIQ 3.0 with easy-to-use interface, rapid access, precise translations and unique compression technology which turns foreign language into almost native mother tongue